What Does The Financial Part of Services Look Like?

What Does The Financial Part of Services Look Like?

At first glance, the financial side of residential services can seem overwhelming. There are a lot of factors to consider when selecting services for your loved one with an intellectual or developmental disability.

As you explore your options, you’ll probably have some questions including:
• What does the financial part of residential services look like?
• Who pays for what and how do I get funding?
• What are my options for paying for services?

While there’s no one-size-fits-all answer, GoodLife’s team is here to help you navigate the process. In this article, we explain the financial part of residential services and how to determine waiver eligibility. 

This blog is part 1 of our series answering the top 5 questions about GoodLife’s residential services. We hope you find this information helpful as you explore our services.

How do I determine waiver eligibility?

When an individual is looking to come into residential services, the first step is to determine if they have funding through the Home and Community Based Services (HCBS) Intellectual Developmental Disability waiver. Families can contact their local Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) to determine eligibility for this waiver and get more information about how to apply. 

In Kansas, there is currently a 8-9 year wait for services. That’s why we encourage anyone considering residential services for their loved one to start the waiver process as soon as possible. 

What if my loved one does not qualify for funding?

If the individual does not have any funding or waiver support, they can privately pay. The cost depends on the residential services selected and the level of care required by the individual.

What does the financial part of services look like? 

Our residential services cover most living costs. This includes housing, transportation, food, and utilities. It also covers our on-call nursing team, on-site activities, local excursions, and more. We even safeguard some funds for personal spending. While our services are inclusive, there may be some additional expenses that arise from time to time depending on the individual’s needs. 

How do I get started?

Your first step is to contact your local Community Developmental Disability Organization (CDDO) to determine eligibility for funding through the HCBS waiver. Once you have the funding in place you can begin the application process. You can learn more by reading our in-depth article about applying for GoodLife’s residential services here.

What if I have more questions?

Choosing a place for your loved one to live shouldn’t be stressful. We’re here to help you throughout the process and answer any questions you have about our residential services. Our caring team is available to offer support and guidance every step of the way. If you have additional questions or would like more information, please contact Nichole Reiske, GoodLife’s Director of Admissions, at nicholereiske@mygoodlife.org, 913-980-8135.

You can also subscribe to our monthly newsletter to get each of our blog posts delivered right to your inbox.

Skip to content